Sunday, June 24, 2007

Berlin

Since almost everyone has been to Berlin before and had recommended me the places of interest there, I'll just give a short summary of our Berlin trip. Initially, it was planned that me and Grace go to Berlin for 2 nights by trying "Mitfahrer", that is something like hitch hiking system in an organised manner.


The Berlin Train Station

Then I found that Jun Ming, my hall kaki, gonna visit me around that period. So, I recommended him to join us. So, he took a train trip himself, since both me and Grace had the hitchhiker trip already.

We stayed at A&O hostel. Not the central 1 but the Eastern side. Where the communist East Berlin used to be. It was an experience to see another side of Berlin. Runned down buildings. Cheap kebabs. Cheap breakfast. Urine smell everywhere. But, the main reason I chose that location was the happening night spots are in this area.

First day

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag(Parliment building), Walked along the 17th June Street without my jacket, explored the night spots in the east Berlin(instead of doing a Pub crawl, we walked around instead)

Second day

Checkpoint Charlie- It's pretty hot inside and lots of exhibits to read. Many interesting ways of escaping the East side were displayed. Tons of fun like watching Prison Break. Besides climbing the Berlin wall, theres digging tunnels, using diving gears, hot air balloon, ramming the wall with a bulletproof truck, hiding oneself in suitcases and etc. Was supposed to be a place where you feel sorry for the Berliners. But, I had to applaud the escapees or those who failed. The best part was about this guy who escaped to the prosperous West side by tunnelling and 20 years later he became a successful physicist and went to space. That was the only part that touched me.

Jewish Museum- Clearly after a nasty holocaust, anti-semitism awareness was important in this museum. Mel Gibson should pay a visit inside too. Okler, it's the most modern looking museum Ive ever visited.


Thats Jun Ming in Sony Center. Where IMAX theatere is.

Then we were looking for clubs in Berlin. However, most of the famous ones we visited were having gay and lesbian night. I thought Cologne is already the gay capital of Germany. But, later I found out that there was a homosexual parade the day before. In the end we found 1 near our hostel and clubbed until 5 am. Nice atmosphere, but the music was lousy.

Third day
Jun Ming flew off to Paris early in the morning. Our driver sets off at 6 pm. So, we tried to explore the rest of Berlin as much as possible. Like, the Berlin cathedral, a shopping district of Berlin, and the vicinity of Zoological Gardens. Then finally our trip was over.

Now I know why so many people recommended me Berlin. It has the interesting architecture and history. Though it's not as prosperous as Munich, Berlin will be a force to be reckoned with in time to come. More cosmopolitan than Munich that I could speak English most of the time. I'm sure Berlin will top London in the next ten years with its excitement. But right now, Berlin can still be improved.

No comments: