Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Remainder of road trip

**** This is my first backdated update, it has been 4 weeks. So, remembering what happened is pretty hard now****

After our mediciore trip to Zurich, Kat drove us to 1 of the mountain region of the Alps, called Jungfrau. That's where Interlaken city is, which I didn't know where was that even after this trip. Which was a great thing, because we drove straight up to a small town, Grindelwald, which is much nearer to where the action is. Interlaken is where the nearest train station is. So, the car rental was a great idea after all.

Driving up these mountains towards Grindelwald was a new awesome experience for Kat definitely. Even if I didnt get to drive that day, checking out sceneries was also an awesome experience.


Halfway up there, we stopped by to take some pictures after we couldnt bear to miss such scenery.

We learnt not to worry so much about that.
The best sceneries are all up there.


Real reflection. No photoshop. Too bad I wasnt there though. Only Kat witnessed this marvel, while the we guys were struggling up the mountains with our bikes.


Nice little houses by the mountains


I guess more pictures will bore readers more. So, I'll proceed to the best part of the trip.

1 highlight has to be scaling up the high mountains by 3 forms of transportation.
First was driving up without my license. I guess their mountain ranger wouldnt pick on us there.

Amazing.. notice that the GPS is still functioning for a remote area like this.

Second was cycling up around 1000m of height to a small town above from Grindelwald, when we rented a bike for 40 Swiss Francs a day. I dare say that even with a trip to Muenster and Berlin after that, this has to be the best moment in my exchange life.


Third form of transport was walking up there after 75% of the journey, when my legs began to take its toll.


Hee... that's not me though. It was Theodore who gave up only after 2% of the journey. Not because he's unfit, but one needs to know how to use the gears of the bicycle well. They don't call a mountain bike for nothing in this case. But, I had the same problem later in the journey. While Wilson being determined to cycle all the way up, I was pushing my bike the rest of the journey.


This was how high we cycled. The area where the houses are below was our starting point.


Even the cows lazing grazing around made me feel that life's is not about pushing hard so much. So, I sat and enjoyed the breeze and scenery.

Truth is.. my legs and butt were killing me! Pleasure cycle has turned to a freaking marathon for me now.

I spotted this guys who had a punctured tyre. I think my situation is much worse than him now.

I was determined to finish this even 3 hours had already passed. Before we set off trip actually, we asked a tourist information girl about this trip initially. According to her, she cycle this route last year and it took her only 1 hour 40 minutes! Thats half of my duration! Those Swiss are darn healthy la. I had few motivation and words of encouragement by some old people or ladies who cycled past me. Was it motivation or just himulation?

Anyway, after almost 3 hours and 40 minutes and world class sceneries, I saw the MOST BEAUTIFUL SIGHT ever...

Finishing point! Theodore reached first cos he took a bus up to the 2nd last stop and continued. Wilson finished 15 mins later. I reached half an hour later.


Could be the best meal in my life. I was so hungry pushing the bicycle up the slope. Finest Swiss Rosti. Much better than Marche's. Max the carbohydrate. Max the ommph.

Later after replenishing our energy, we cycled back using a different route hoping to meet Kat who is hiking down along the way.



Unfortunately, there were still upslopes on our way down, cos we needed to cross over to the otherside of the mountain. So, we didnt meet Kat along the way.

That long stretch of pass lagged us for another 1 hour. But the rest of the downward slope was fun and dangerous. Luckily, my brakes were disc brakes. There was 1 point, Theodore locked his brakes on steep gravel road, that he almost crashed into the doors of the cable car station. We were laughing our asses off, the whole scene looks damn funny.


Wanna know how fun downslope is? From the top of the portion of the hill in this picture to the spot we took this shot, it took us less than 5 minutes.

We actually scheduled to leave this place on the same day evening. But, due to exhaustion, we stayed another night. Clearly, the main reason was we were quite attached to this place already. Definitely a 5/5 rating trip for me!

No comments: